Forums Search Login Register
Login
Username
Password
New Posts Todays Posts Find Users Posts Unanswered Threads Help Mark Forums as Read

Thread Options  Subscribe to this thread Subscribed Users  Add Reply 
Trophies:
Hi,

Having already several computers running Ubuntu/Lubuntu, I am rather ok with the installation of Lubuntu alongside with Windows. But, today, I am stuck and would love the advice of the community! Tongue

I am trying to have Lubuntu alongside Windows 8.1 on a laptop with no native screen (broken a few years ago and completely removed), for which I use a VGA screen.
- Laptop is : HP Notebook 650 PC (2017)
- Runs Win 8.1 fine with display on external VGA
- I use my Live USB with Lubuntu 20.04 for the installation (have used it for other installation)

What I have done so far :
- prepared and shrinked Windows : OK
- used the available space to install Lubuntu. Since it is EFI, it seems that I did not have to create a separate partition for boot)
- installed Lubuntu : everything went smoothly. No errors, it seems installed OK.

My issue is that it always start Windows.
I have no screen until Windows is started, so :
I can not see the BIOSI can not see if Windows boot manager displays or not

What I have done so far :
- tried to force the BIOS to use my external display (so I could at least view something and work from there!). None of the tricks I came across worked to force the display on the VGA screen.
- ran grub-repair. There was a message mentioning that "Secure boot" was enabled. I forced the update of the BIOS and it seems to have disabled the secure mode.
- ran a second time grub-repair to get the report.

I paste here :
- the info I get from grub-repair : https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/gy62jJy6nw/
- the boot repair summary after running the recommended repair : https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/NxxpMW3dX7/

I am reaching the limit of my knowledge on this topic and would like your help if possible.

What I would wish ideally : being able to choose between Lubuntu and Windows, with Lubuntu as default.

Thank you!

C?ine
09-22-2021, 08:45 PM
Subscribe to this thread Subscribed Users  Add Reply 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [lubuntu] Adding 3rd monitor when existing graphics only allow for 2 bfrankgonzaluuu 0 1 Today 04:35 AM
Last Post: bfrankgonzaluuu
  System Restore Trevor 0 2 Yesterday 10:52 AM
Last Post: Trevor
  [lubuntu] Computer won't shutdown Dogg the Booty Hunter 0 10 10-15-2021 11:52 AM
Last Post: Dogg the Booty Hunter
  [ubuntu] System Freeze after sometime DonJuan 0 11 10-08-2021 08:47 PM
Last Post: DonJuan
  Can't boot into system! qkathlinewillish 0 11 10-08-2021 12:17 PM
Last Post: qkathlinewillish
  chronic system freezes tintan253 0 9 10-07-2021 12:51 PM
Last Post: tintan253
  [ubuntu] Convert BIOS boot partition to UEFI/SecureBoot partition nteddyflowccsj 0 13 10-04-2021 02:31 PM
Last Post: nteddyflowccsj
  Intermittent Green Screen of Death. Ubuntu 21.04, AMD Ryzen 5 3400g lonniedivers 0 15 10-04-2021 02:31 PM
Last Post: lonniedivers
  Mouse stopped working after system lockup dwiltonmorrisonl 0 14 10-04-2021 04:48 AM
Last Post: dwiltonmorrisonl
  [ubuntu] simple screen recorder is not recording sound FrancheskaF 0 17 10-03-2021 09:23 AM
Last Post: FrancheskaF