Forums Search Login Register
Login
Username
Password
New Posts Todays Posts Find Users Posts Unanswered Threads Help Mark Forums as Read

Thread Options  Subscribe to this thread Subscribed Users  Add Reply 
Trophies:
I'm not a complete novice. I've been using the command-line since pre-PC days, some 40 years ago. I was an early Macintosh user, and then spent most of the last 30 years managing Windows servers and networks. I've played with the Linux command-line from time to time for the past 5 years. Nevertheless, I'm a novice concerning Linux, and particularly Ubuntu Server.

The goal is to replace a Windows Server featuring Hyper-V host, and three Server VM Guests. The new hardware is based on a SuperMicro MBD-H12SSL-NT motherboard with 128GB RAM. This motherboard does NOT include the RAID controller, but rather interfaces the disks directly. The CPU is a single Epyc 7262, Rome, 7002 series, with 8 cores.

When I say "Need General Direction", I'm asking for help to find documentation on ZFS and using it to install Ubuntu Server as a VM Host using as many built-in tools as possible.

My current understanding is that it's possible to boot from ZFS. It's possible to create a VM Host using KVM and QEMU without using a third party Host. It would be ideal to find technical manuals on these specific subjects and white papers which include example procedures. Also, I welcome your comments, suggestions, and advice.

I've spent a few weeks investigating and now feel totally confused over conflicting information. I recognize that ZFS is considered experimental on Ubuntu Server and that some tools are non-existent, for example to add additional disks after the original configuration. However, it appears to me that it's possible to boot from a Live flash drive, define the ZFS array, install GRUB, and then install Ubuntu Server.

The rest of my new hardware will arrive in about a week, and since the current Microsoft Server is still functioning fine, there's no rush. I have time to experiment, including any experiments that you may suggest. I expect to try multiple installations while writing my own white paper. Thank you ahead of time for your gentle guidance.
04-01-2021, 11:31 PM
Subscribe to this thread Subscribed Users  Add Reply 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [ubuntu] Ubuntu install onto Surface Studio Ice Queen 0 6 05-11-2021 05:39 AM
Last Post: Ice Queen
  Uefi & legacy boot Gerhard1 0 3 05-11-2021 05:39 AM
Last Post: Gerhard1
  [ubuntu] iperf and non iperf server Bergerac 0 7 05-05-2021 10:20 AM
Last Post: Bergerac
  Fresh Ubuntu Installation rebooting to Install menu uleilarosariog 0 10 05-05-2021 10:20 AM
Last Post: uleilarosariog
  Ethernet no longer connecting after install tyelenacarrollg 0 20 04-28-2021 11:42 PM
Last Post: tyelenacarrollg
  20.04 slow boot 34s in kernel Dogg the Booty Hunter 0 12 04-28-2021 03:51 PM
Last Post: Dogg the Booty Hunter
  [kubuntu] kubuntu hogs boot: installed ku 1st xu 2nd grub only boots ku ftishabergers 0 12 04-28-2021 03:51 PM
Last Post: ftishabergers
  [server] No mem-info on OOM logs lailacoleman7 0 13 04-28-2021 12:15 PM
Last Post: lailacoleman7
  How to install WiFi ? dgalinaalvaradoj 0 10 04-28-2021 12:52 AM
Last Post: dgalinaalvaradoj
  bricked Ubuntu server 20.04 "sudo chmod o= /"? ljackilawrhhhek 0 15 04-25-2021 03:49 AM
Last Post: ljackilawrhhhek