Forums Search Login Register
Login
Username
Password
New Posts Todays Posts Find Users Posts Unanswered Threads Help Mark Forums as Read

Thread Options  Subscribe to this thread Subscribed Users  Add Reply 
Trophies:
I need some assistance to recover from (dual boot) OS failure.
My primary concern is NOT to loose ANY data , period.

Up front - this is NOT simple Yes / No question , hence here is some background.

I had working muti-boot Ubuntu 16.04 system with an array of hard drive disks , both SATA and USB.

My data disks are in several RAID5 arrays. - primary to keep my data safe.
I have been successfully alternating between TWO perfectly working ?boot systems? (via grub) UNTIL I needed to activate UNUSED RAID5 array.

For yet unknown reason my primary OS now boots ONLY to ?emergency mode? and so far I am unable to recover from this mode back to normal boot.

My inability to use my primary OS demonstrated itself as some kinda of ?frozen? option boot printout which was stuck in an endless loop.

From this I did identify possible issue with the RAID I was working with ? so I physically removed ONE of the RAID disks.
The ?endless loops ? went away.

I have been going thru ?grub? ?advanced boot? - without much success.
I have several versions of ?recovery?, but they always end in ?emergency boot mode?

It looks as ?emergency recovery ? is very unreliable - simple text menu does not always return same keyboard entries.

Since I still have ONE perfectly working OS version I was thinking about configuring my system so I can have access to the broken OS files. ( My working OS unfortunately has no direct access to data I need )

I did try Ubuntu GUI "add user" and it was a disaster - you can add user without password , but you need his password to delete him!
You can choose activate without password , but you still need a password to use CLI.
And when you use passwrod - it has to meet UBUNTU/ Linux criteria !

I asked Mrs Google but got nowhere.

I think I need to add ?group? and then have users from each OS added to such group.
Is that feasible?

Any other suggestions, preferably CLI would be welcome.

Please keep in mind - I need to keep the existing data - and since I cannot access the OS I cannot do backup!

I would;d not mind installing fresh / clean Ubuntu and then add the "group". Disk space is of no issue.
10-05-2020, 01:18 PM
Subscribe to this thread Subscribed Users  Add Reply 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Access to /boot/grub and /boot/efi oonnnasantosi 0 0 10-26-2020 01:17 PM
Last Post: oonnnasantosi
  Edit .profile with recovery/bootable USB oharrisonholmesh 0 3 10-22-2020 11:26 AM
Last Post: oharrisonholmesh
  [ubuntu] Dual boot with Windows 10 not working Wilma 0 4 10-22-2020 05:04 AM
Last Post: Wilma
  NIC issues in Xubuntu 14.04 after warm reboot from Windows - Dual boot tintan253 0 6 10-15-2020 03:13 PM
Last Post: tintan253
  Triple Boot to test Ubuntu 20 meloygoodwinq 0 6 10-09-2020 11:19 PM
Last Post: meloygoodwinq
  [ubuntu] Want to dual-boot & Cannot resize my disk jindymas11 0 5 10-08-2020 02:38 AM
Last Post: jindymas11
  [ubuntu] Recovery from a botched apt-clone recover operation? Fganly216 0 5 10-05-2020 12:55 AM
Last Post: Fganly216
  PC don't turn on after dual boot Hoppytramp 0 7 10-05-2020 12:55 AM
Last Post: Hoppytramp
  is "sudo reboot" & "sudo poweroff" use different path at boot process??? linlynn80 0 6 10-02-2020 01:06 PM
Last Post: linlynn80
  System tries to setup missing LUKS volume during boot keiraleach 0 7 09-29-2020 07:57 PM
Last Post: keiraleach