Forums Search Login Register
Login
Username
Password
New Posts Todays Posts Find Users Posts Unanswered Threads Help Mark Forums as Read

Thread Options  Subscribe to this thread Subscribed Users1  Add Reply 
Trophies:
BOSTON (AP) — J.A. Happ seemed to be the perfect choice to start Game 1 of the AL Division Series for the New York Yankees in Boston.The veteran left-hander had excellent numbers against the Yankees’ biggest rivals http://www.raysfanproshop.com/authentic-...oyo-jersey , and manager Aaron Boone was counting on him to neutralize a Red Sox lineup that produced some of the best offensive statistics in the majors this season.Happ went 1-1 with a 1.99 ERA in four starts versus the Red Sox this year and entered 8-4 with 2.98 ERA against them during his career.That was one reason the Yankees traded for him from Toronto in July and perhaps at least part of the reason why Boone held him back in favor of Luis Severino in the wild-card game Wednesday against Oakland.Instead, Happ put the Yankees in a big hole.He lasted just two-plus innings in Friday night’s 5-4 loss, giving up five runs and four hits, including a homer. That gave Boston’s beleaguered bullpen the cushion it needed to stave off New York’s late comeback attempt.“I’m certainly not going to make any excuses,” Happ said. “I just didn’t get it done. … I need to be sharper. If I get another opportunity, hopefully I will be.”After the third inning, the Yankees’ bullpen allowed just three hits and kept Boston scoreless the rest of the way.“J.A. obviously got in a little bit of trouble in that first inning, just not having his real airtight command that he usually has, especially with the fastball,” Boone said. “The ‘pen did a great job to allow us back in the game and give us a chance. And we almost caught them.”Happ’s troubles started at the outset.He struck out leadoff man Mookie Betts before giving up a single to Andrew Benintendi and a walk to Steve Pearce. J.D. Martinez laced a three-run homer that just cleared the top of the Green Monster in left field.Happ said getting behind 2-0 in the count to Martinez allowed him to jump on a good pitch.“I thought I threw it to the glove and he put a good swing on it,” the pitcher said.Happ retired Boston in order in the second before being removed in the third after Betts led off with a double off the Green Monster, followed by a bunt single from Benintendi. Both scored when reliever Chad Green allowed an RBI single to Steve Pearce and Xander Bogaerts‘ sacrifice fly.Happ was frustrated that he wasn’t able to provide more innings.“My execution wasn’t as high as it’s been,” he said. “That’s the reason I always stress trying to get strike one. I wasn’t very good at that tonight. The big hit cost me.”Yankees first baseman Luke Voit said despite Happ’s difficult night, his teammates still have faith in him going forward.“He made one bad pitch to one of the better hitters in baseball. It’s frustrating. But he knows he’s going to get another opportunity http://www.raysfanproshop.com/authentic-...ldi-jersey ,” Voit said. “He still competes and he still did a good job. But sometimes bad things happen.” ST. LOUIS (AP) — Adam Wainwright is staying with the St. Louis Cardinals.The Cardinals agreed to a one-year deal with the veteran right-hander Thursday, bringing Wainwright back to the only major league team he’s pitched for. The 37-year-old Wainwright has been with St. Louis since making his big league debut in 2005.“Adam represents everything we think of when asked to describe a winning player, and a winning teammate,” Cardinals Chairman Bill DeWitt Jr. said in a statement. “His value to our team stretches far beyond the box score, and he showed by season’s end that he is still ready and able to compete.”Wainwright made just eight starts this season because of hamstring and elbow problems, going 2-4 with a 4.46 ERA, but he pitched four times in September as the Cardinals made an unsuccessful bid for a postseason spot. After his final start Sept. 28, he sounded like someone who wanted to try to keep pitching.“If you had asked me that question about two months ago, I would have already checked out on you,” Wainwright said at the time. “But the way I’m feeling right now, if that is my last start, it would be kind of hard to walk away knowing the way I’m feeling right now.”A three-time All-Star, Wainwright is fifth on the Cardinals’ career list with 148 wins and second with 1,623 strikeouts. He was a closer for the Cardinals when they won the World Series in 2006. St. Louis also won a title in 2011 http://www.raysfanproshop.com/authentic-...son-jersey , but Wainwright did not pitch that year.Wainwright went 20-9 with a 2.38 ERA in 2014, but he’s posted a 4.54 ERA over the four seasons since.“Adam has proven, when healthy, that he still has the ability and the drive to contribute at the highest level,” said John Mozeliak, the Cardinals’ president of baseball operations. “We saw it in spring training, and again late in the season, that once he had overcome his ailments, he was prepared to give us a winning effort every time he took the mound. There is risk, but it is shared, and this deal gives us added depth as we look to 2019.”
10-22-2018, 04:32 AM
Subscribe to this thread Subscribed Users1  Add Reply 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Christmas Gifts For Her - Selection Made Simple tucu 0 1,671 08-16-2019 10:21 PM
Last Post: tucu
  He has made two relief appearances officialsbaseball 0 603 02-19-2019 11:05 PM
Last Post: officialsbaseball
  Morrissey made it 2-0 with a shot from the point officialsbaseball 0 1,752 12-13-2018 02:05 AM
  Wainwright is fifth on the Cardinals’ career officialsbaseball 0 897 11-14-2018 02:34 AM
  CARDINALS 24, CHARGERS 17 officialsbaseball 0 131 09-26-2018 01:45 AM
  Arizona Cardinals Elite Jerseys officialsbaseball 0 181 09-20-2018 02:04 AM
  1080 envy made me finally check what the alternate bios button on my 980ti would do. meveliafritzm 0 604 06-14-2016 07:11 PM
Last Post: meveliafritzm
  In which country were the following CPU's made ? All in China ? AvyeC1990 0 432 06-10-2016 06:13 AM
Last Post: AvyeC1990
  B? m? h? điện tử hk 200e tại H?Nội made in VietNam kalundo38 0 475 01-24-2016 02:46 AM
Last Post: kalundo38
  I think i made a mistake by buying a Western Digital Red 3To 64Mo 3.5 ebrainpecks 0 461 03-15-2015 09:45 AM
Last Post: ebrainpecks