Forums Search Login Register
Login
Username
Password
New Posts Todays Posts Find Users Posts Unanswered Threads Help Mark Forums as Read

Thread Options  Subscribe to this thread Subscribed Users  Add Reply 
Trophies:
I was very surprised to find that with a clean install of 18.04, I couldn't find a way to do so without risking to destroy existing partitions. Is this no longer an option?
I can't understand that the disks are now identified by their brand name and size, and not by connection (dev/sda etc.). Who cares about that when the important factor is their placement/connection?

I have three different web/mail servers, all placed in a shed, and to manually operate one of them I need to carry it to the living-room or kitchen and set them up temporarily with a display and keyboard. Each server also has a partition with a desktop OS, making it more convenient for many tasks. I would strongly recommend that an installer with a graphical interface be made available so a system generation could be performed while doing other tasks. An installer, Ubiquity, exists, but AFAIK it's designed only to install a desktop system, and frankly, I never had any success with it.

The design of the installer has changed. It used to work just fine, so why change it? I had some trouble finding out how to operate it. There were some unnecessary questions, but - well - maybe some installations would need them.

I hoped that the installer would recognize a WiFi interface that I purchased because it was said to be Ubuntu compatible.
It did not, and though the LinuxMint desktop that I use found it with no trouble at all.
The reason I prefer WiFi is that the router doesn't have enough ports - and being fast enough it's not a bottleneck.

Like the unsuccessful Unity interface for the desktop version, it seems that Canonical is making experiments that are not well received by the community. Naturally, I stopped using the Ubuntu desktop, and if there's no better solution for the server edition, I'll seriously consider another OS for that also. CentOS, perhaps - widely used and having used it on external servers before, seems to fulfill at least my requirements just fine.

Any better solution in sight?
05-03-2018, 04:05 AM
Subscribe to this thread Subscribed Users  Add Reply 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [ubuntu] Ubuntu 18.04 server networking issues CynthiaA1962 0 1 Yesterday 07:58 AM
Last Post: CynthiaA1962
  [server] Ubuntu Server 19.10: WOL not working eranfields77 0 5 05-21-2020 03:32 PM
Last Post: eranfields77
  [ubuntu] 20.04 Server Installer - ZFS on root ureddgriffithx 0 10 04-21-2020 11:53 AM
Last Post: ureddgriffithx
  [all variants] dhclient writing bad address for DNS server Stephen 3 315 04-09-2020 08:32 PM
Last Post: FrankJScott
  [ubuntu] Problem installing IBM's DB2 Express-C server. vfreddyhuynhp 3 281 04-09-2020 07:56 PM
  Ubuntu Server 19.10 - Ethernet speed Trogdor 0 22 03-24-2020 03:59 PM
Last Post: Trogdor
  [ubuntu] vino-server authentication attempts "other clients" listed keiraleach 5 328 03-23-2020 09:34 PM
  [ubuntu] Is it possible to install backtrack 5 tools in ubuntu server? ogerardosandovaln 1 113 03-03-2020 09:13 PM
  [ubuntu] Transparent proxy server rdaniellabarryr 1 186 03-03-2020 08:48 PM
  [server] Server Load Going Through the Roof ocolebrightn 0 20 02-22-2020 07:53 AM
Last Post: ocolebrightn