Forums Search Login Register
Login
Username
Password
New Posts Todays Posts Find Users Posts Unanswered Threads Help Mark Forums as Read

Thread Options  Subscribe to this thread Subscribed Users  Add Reply 
Trophies:
Hi all

This post will only be of interest if:

- you are using XScreenSaver instead of the regular screen saver
- you have the XScreenSaver plugin "GLPlanet" installed
(although perhaps the regular screen saver has a similar plugin)

I currently run "precise", however this probably applies to other versions of Ubuntu.

So. I was thinking I would like the GLPlanet screen saver to display a planet other than Earth. This means finding texture files for other planets. I was annoyed when reading the description of GLPlanet when it stated:

"Draws a planet bouncing around in space. The built-in image is a map of the earth (extracted from `xearth'), but you can wrap any texture around the sphere, e.g., the planetary textures that come with `ssystem'."

"ssystem"? What is that?

After some googling, I realized that ssystem had been superseded by "Celestia" (an excellent astronomy simulation, btw). I already had Celestia on my system. You can find the textures for the planets (and other objects) in "/usr/share/celestia/textures", in three separate sub-directories: "lores" "medres" and "hires". Pick a texture from the GLPlanet settings dialog by hitting the "browse: button then navigating to the aforementioned "/usr/share/celestia/textures". Almost everything you want is probably in "medres".

Even better textures are available at http://www.celestiamotherlode.net/.

If anyone has the chops to make GLPlanet use a random texture (perhaps stating on the screen which it is) you would impress me immensely (hint hint)

Tony
03-15-2013, 02:36 AM
Subscribe to this thread Subscribed Users  Add Reply 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [gnome] Opening lid reveals unlocked screen contents before showing lock-screen ljackilawrhhhek 0 5 09-23-2020 01:38 PM
Last Post: ljackilawrhhhek
  [all variants] 'True' hybrid-suspend / suspend-to-both / suspend-and-hibernate? evolution05 0 11 09-19-2020 04:11 AM
Last Post: evolution05
  [ubuntu] lightdm - with slick-greeter, login loops back to the lightdm login screen vbasilshawh 0 11 09-16-2020 09:46 AM
Last Post: vbasilshawh
  [all variants] how do you make sure links are virus free before sending it? uleilarosariog 0 13 09-12-2020 03:24 AM
Last Post: uleilarosariog
  [gnome] Machine kind of hangs in activities screen ijeffflowersg 0 12 09-08-2020 05:16 AM
Last Post: ijeffflowersg
  [lubuntu] How to change width of column on left side of the screen AlisaH2006 0 22 07-31-2020 12:34 PM
Last Post: AlisaH2006
  [ubuntu_mate] UB Mate 20.04 Black screen during login Trevor 0 21 07-31-2020 05:15 AM
Last Post: Trevor
  [lubuntu] Strange black sign on screen after lubuntu update on old ThinkPad Mac Tramp 0 21 07-25-2020 03:08 PM
Last Post: Mac Tramp
  VS Code Fractional Scaling Issue on Hi DPI Screen Gerhard1 0 20 07-18-2020 09:17 PM
Last Post: Gerhard1
  Blank screen at random intervals, all operating systems (xubuntu 20.04, Windows 10) xkentonhenslyyy 0 22 07-13-2020 11:34 PM
Last Post: xkentonhenslyyy